Development OfficerCompany: Victoria Symphony
Date Posted: January 19, 2018
Development Officer (One Year Renewable)
The Victoria Symphony (VS) is seeking a Development Officer to join its dynamic and hardworking team operating the largest performing arts organization on Vancouver Island. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Officer will contribute to an overall annual goal of raising $1.5 million + in a combination of annual appeal, planned giving, and event revenue, supporting both the Victoria Symphony Society(VSS) and the Foundation for the Victoria Symphony(FVS). The Development Officer is a person who is a professional and experienced fundraiser, passionate about the arts, results-oriented and has a positive nature -- including tact, sensitivity and good judgement.
- Managing and achieving the goals of a Planned Giving program for the FVS, while working with the Director of Development, including the tasks related to planning, fundraising, prospecting, cultivation and stewardship of our Tribute Circle donors
- “Point person” with sole responsibility for all administrative aspects of the FVS
- Managing the Musician Circle donors, assisting with cultivation and stewardship activities for more than 350 individual donors and prospects
- Delivering donor benefit fulfilment to various donor segments
- Managing and achieving the goals of the Annual Appeal direct mail campaign
- Understanding and competent at using the Tessitura database, including: constituent profile data, events, campaigns, funds, pulling lists and reports, and analytic donor reporting for both the VSS and the FVS
- Planning and managing events including production schedule, venue arrangements, set-up, equipment, food & beverage, materials, invitation and RSVP process. Includes Conductor's Circle lounges in theatre lobby, open rehearsals, receptions, and cultivation dinners
- Providing concierge service to various Donor Circle members with regards to ticket service, events, and special requests
- Assisting in designing and producing content for paper and electronic newsletters, event invitations, etc. (working with the marketing staff)
- Coordinating a small groups of volunteers
- Assisting in the materials and logistics for committee, board and AGM meetings for VSS and the FVS
Experience and Requirements
- CFRE certification and college diploma or university degree is required
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable fundraiser with three+ years’ experience with direct responsibility for fundraising goals
- Experience with Planned Giving programs, campaigns, major gifts and annual appeals
- Knowledge of classical music and/or a passion for the arts
- Strong ability to think ahead, take personal initiative, work both independently and as a team member, collaborate and coordinate with others including committees, boards and teams
- Excellent planning, well organized with a strong attention to detail
- Personable and positive nature
- Excellent writing, grammar and general communications skills, written and verbal
- Good computer skills, including MS Office, social media and web applications (knowledge of Tessitura or comparable fundraising database is an asset). Software includes: iWave PRO, Constant Contact, and management Pipeline reporting)
- Experience organizing and coordinating fundraising events including; silent auctions, raffles, galas, dinners, etc.
- Experience with arts or comparable non-profit organizations an asset
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends, for special events
- Use of a vehicle is an asset
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send your cover letter and resume, including three professional references in confidence. Attn: VS Hiring Committee c/o email@example.com.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received, but only prospective candidates will be contacted.