Senior Development OfficerCompany: Victoria Symphony Society
Date Posted: March 12, 2018
The Victoria Symphony (VS) is seeking a Senior Development Officer to join its dynamic and hardworking team operating the largest performing arts organization on Vancouver Island. Reporting to the Director of Development (DD), the Sr. Development Officer will contribute to an overall goal of raising $1 million+ in individual, corporate giving and special events revenue. Specifically the Sr. Development Officer is responsible for the Sponsorship portfolio and reports to the Director of Development in support of the mission of the Victoria Symphony Society.
The Development Officer is a results-oriented, professional fundraiser with a proven track record of individual, corporate and community fundraising.
- Achieve sponsorship targets as defined on an annual basis
- Develop and manage the day-to-day activities associated with the sponsorship portfolio, which includes a minimum of 40 active accounts and 20 prospects
- Determine the best sponsor or donor strategy, design and present the proposal to business people
- Actively lead and/or participate in calls with donors and prospects
- Undertake negotiations with corporations, donors and partners, ensuring data is kept with accuracy, and in a timely manner
- Oversee sponsor and donor agreements, ensure delivery of agreement obligations of the VS and benefits to the donor or sponsor
- Initiate and organize annual agreement stewardship meetings with sponsors and partners to review benefits and expectations for renewal
- Work closely with the marketing department on sponsor fulfillment activities that integrate with advertising plans and communications activities
- Work with VS staff, board members and committee members as required
- Supervise staff and volunteers, on occasion, for some special events and sponsorship fulfillment
- Manages cultivation and fundraising events including: cultivation receptions, sponsor activation events, silent auctions, dinners, Splash Party Boat, Raffles, donor lounges, etc.
- Design, generate, and analyze lists and reports from the Tessitura database as required for reporting functions, analysis, direct mail, events and other campaigns.
- Coordination of large fundraising events (galas) working in a team environment
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Requirements
- Minimum four years’ experience in development, a solid understanding of fundraising principles and a track record of meeting fundraising goals
- History of building successful relationships with individuals, corporations and businesses in the community
- Experience organizing fundraising events including silent auctions, raffles, dinners, etc., with a proven track record of meeting fundraising targets
- Excellent English in written correspondence mandatory
- Demonstrates flexibility in supporting many initiatives within Development
- Good computer skills and a knowledge of Tessitura or comparable fundraising system
- Flexible working hours, including some evenings and weekends, for special events is required
- Use of a vehicle is an asset
- Knowledge of classical music and/or a passion for the arts is an asset
- Knowledge of donors and the arts organizations in Victoria area is an asset
- University degree or college diploma
- CFRE certification is an asset
- High level of initiative, independence and creative ability to achieve financial and non-financial objectives. Campaign experience an asset
- Proven ability to plan, initiate, oversee and evaluate donor strategies in a timely manner
- A positive team player, cooperative, creative, politically astute, and inspires confidence
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working directly with boards, donors and sponsors
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send your cover letter and resume, including three professional references in confidence. Attn: VS Hiring Committee c/o email@example.com.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received, but only prospective candidates will be contacted.