DIRECTOR OF FUND DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONSCompany: Habitat for Humanity Victoria
Date Posted: September 27, 2017
DIRECTOR OF FUND DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS
About Habitat for Humanity Victoria
Habitat for Humanity Victoria is a community-based charity working in tandem with Habitats across Canada and around the world toward a vision where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. Habitat for Humanity brings communities together to help working families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership.
About the Opportunity
Habitat Victoria seeks a highly skilled, dynamic and results-oriented professional to lead its fundraising/Fund development and communications initiatives. This full-time position is responsible for designing and executing a multi-year fundraising plan including corporate sponsorship, individual giving, grants and special events. The Director of Fund Development and Communications also develops and oversees the marketing plan for all of the charity’s programs, including its social enterprise, ReStore.
The position is part of the senior management team and reports to the Chief Executive Officer. The position will have a supervisory role of a small, but growing, team.
Qualifications & Abilities:
- A proven record of accomplishing fundraising goals and developing effective multi-faceted fundraising programs. A minimum of five years of leading successful (and progressive) revenue development efforts is preferred.
- Excellent strategic, organizational, supervisory, motivational and communication skills, with the ability to diplomatically and effectively interact with a diverse group of stakeholders – donors, volunteers, Habitat homeowners, business leaders, funders, colleagues and other supporters.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the expectation of leading speaking engagements, as well as preparing powerful written collateral.
- Proven experience with effective marketing and impactful promotion of organizational programs and priorities.
- Demonstrated experience with communications, media relations and public relations (such as PSAs, advertising strategies, social media, blogs and more).
- Demonstrated experience with developing and effectively managing annual budgets.
- Advanced level skills with Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Excel and Word).
- Proficiency with design software (specifically InDesign), database management and website layout/design strongly preferred.
- Experience with GiftWorks database management system a plus.
- Strong knowledge of federal and provincial legislation regarding charities, as well as adherence to the Association of Fundraising Professionals Code of Ethical Standards.
- Flexible and open to varied work schedule (including some weekend and evening hours).
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Develop annual and multi-year Fundraising Plans utilizing proven and innovative fundraising strategies
- Develop and monitor the annual budget for the department, including revenue targets and expenses
- Provide leadership and direction on fundraising initiatives, donor development, planned giving, corporate giving, and major gifts, including in-kind and financial donations, and sponsor prospects
- Develop required fundraising policies and procedures that reflect Habitat’s vision, mission and values and which reflect ethical fundraising practices
- Develop donor recognition and renewal programs and ensure accurate, timely implementation to ensure donors are recognized appropriately
- Develop and implement annual fundraising asks, including direct marketing efforts
- Steward, in conjunction with the CEO or other appropriate staff, existing relationships and develop new relationships with:
- Corporate partners (including securing Team Build / Adopt-a-Days)
- Major donors
- Large funders (government, private foundations)
- Individual donors
- Faith groups and service organizations
- Including the fulfillment of all reporting requirements
- Research, prepare and submit innovative fundraising proposals to government and private foundations
- Prepare fulfillment reports as required under funding agreements with government, foundations or other major funders
- Develop and oversee the planning and execution of all fundraising, public relations and community engagement events, including third-party fundraisers and donor appreciation events
- Liaise and coordinate with the Volunteer Coordinator the volunteers required for the execution of events, ReStore, builds and other programs / requirements
- Oversee and coordinate with Construction Committee & ReStore the successful securing of gift-in-kind donations to achieve program goals
- Prepare regular progress reports on fundraising targets and activities
- Ensure excellent records of all donor and fundraising information within the database; provide direction to staff as needed in preparing tax receipts and donor recognition materials including thank you letters and other required material
- Develop, with other Habitat Victoria team members, a multi-year marketing and communications plan encompassing all facets of the organization:
- Homeownership Program
- Build Program
- ReStore Program
- Volunteer Program
- Social media presence and traffic
- Public outreach material (brochures, rack cards, display units, etc)
- Advertisements (radio, tv, print)
- PSAs and media releases
- Work with appropriate stakeholders across all programs to develop annual budgets for marketing, advertising and promotional efforts
- Stay abreast of successful strategies in the industry and of other Habitat affiliates
- Oversee/ensure the development/expansion and/or improvement of all social media
- Oversee the development/management of the website, as well as develop and distribute newsletters and other forms of community outreach and public relations (media releases, PSAs, blogs, etc)
- Ensure the effective marketing and PR for the charity’s events, including fundraising, community outreach, and build-related events (e.g. sod turnings, key ceremonies), etc.
- Oversee, with appropriate stakeholders, the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for fund development efforts and the organization as a whole
- Comply with all Habitat Victoria policies and procedures
- Keep informed of developments in provincial, federal or other legislation governing the areas of responsibility
- These are representative duties and responsibilities, which are not all encompassing and may change from time to time.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com